We were married overseas. Can we get a divorce in Australia?
- It does not matter if you were married overseas. You can apply for a divorce in Australia. You only need to satisfy the requirements under the law.
- The major difference in these situations is ensuring that proof of your marriage is acceptable to the court and in the correct form.
- If it is written in a language other than English then you will need to have your overseas marriage certificate translated into English.
- The translator will need to sign an affidavit:
- detailing their qualifications in translation; and
- confirming that the document is an accurate translation of the original.
- Both these documents will need to be included in your divorce application.
Read some more FAQS from our Separation & Divorce section