Speak to a Consultant Free Call | Mon - Fri | 9am - 5pm
1800 001 212

We were married overseas. Can we get a divorce in Australia?

  • It does not matter if you were married overseas. You can apply for a divorce in Australia. You only need to satisfy the requirements under the law.
  • The major difference in these situations is ensuring that proof of your marriage is acceptable to the court and in the correct form.
  • If it is written in a language other than English then you will need to have your overseas marriage certificate translated into English.
  • The translator will need to sign an affidavit:
    • detailing their qualifications in translation; and
    • confirming that the document is an accurate translation of the original.
  • Both these documents will need to be included in your divorce application.